Vaping crucifies a teen’s mind and body

Robert Bush
An infographic shows statistics regarding the use of e-cigarettes by youth in America.

Teens abusing e-cigarettes must stop.

Research released by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that 1.97 million current high school students experimented with some form of tobacco product at one point. 

Although e-cigarettes are not entirely what they seem, vaping has many negative impacts on a teen’s physical and mental health.

Vaping can cause pre-existing lung diseases like asthma to worsen, as well as cause irreversible lung damage, according to lung.ca.

In addition, the use of e-cigarettes can lead to a higher risk of gum disease and tooth loss.

However, vaping doesn’t only affect a teen’s physical health, but can also harm their mental health. A main reason someone may turn to vaping is to cope with stress and anxiety, according to cdc.gov.

This causes nicotine dependence, which ironically can be a source of stress itself.

Furthermore, when someone is dependent on nicotine, they can experience symptoms such as anxiety, trouble sleeping and difficulty concentrating.

In the end, if teens don’t stop their use of e-cigarettes, then they may lead themselves on to a future of severe health issues.