Season of giving often creates unnecessary pressures

Ornaments+sit+on+a+mini+Christmas+tree+in+AP+Lang+teacher+Kristi+Bayers+classroom+in+Room+126.+Christmas+decorations+represent+another+relatively+cheap+gift+suitable+for+anyone.+
Andrew Wu
Ornaments sit on a mini Christmas tree in AP Lang teacher Kristi Bayer’s classroom in Room 126. Christmas decorations represent another relatively cheap gift suitable for anyone.

Gift-giving has changed from an act of generosity to a form of judgement. A diamond watch and a plastic snowman should not determine one’s character.

Every year during the holidays, people traditionally give or exchange gifts. Even though gifts usually provide a joyful surprise, it can cause headaches for those who struggle.

This tradition dates back to ancient Romans, but more relevant after the spread of Christianity. The custom was rationalized with strong associations, likely by Saint Nicholas, who was known for his kindness and generosity, according to the English Heritage Organization.

These days, gifts and presents often represent a form of appreciation and thoughtfulness for those they love. Therefore, gift exchanges between close friends or family members are relatively common; however, these days, people are compelled or required to give gifts to mere acquaintances.

As a result, many people feel obligated or pressured to spend money and time searching for “something” that represents generosity. Those who are financially unstable or uncertain of the receiver’s interests are often considered “cheap” or “inconsiderate” because they didn’t get the right gift.

Some say high expectations can ruin the values and thoughts behind gifts. If someone expects 10 gifts, but only receives two, then it takes away from the initial thoughtfulness of the gifts. In addition, the holidays seem to be more of a season of receiving than a season of giving. While it is super fun to get a gift, people should try to remember the ways of Saint Nicholas.

Giving even small sweet treats and necessities can make for great gifts. No matter what the price tag, creative gifts are always an excellent way to show that people care, especially if the gift has a deeper meaning or thoughtfulness, such as a blanket with the receiver’s favorite sports team on it.

In the end, people should remember to balance money and thoughtfulness.

Ultimately, nobody should be pressured into giving gifts, especially pricey ones. Without financial pressures or the sense of obligation, holiday gift traditions will bring more joy to more families across the world.