Aquatic athletes compete, find success

Senior Sam Lindsey performs backstroke in a race against First Colonial on Dec. 1, 2023, at the Princess Anne Recreation Center. Photo used with permission from David Bostic.

The girls and boys swim and dive teams will head to districts with a successful season behind them. 

Both teams ended the regular season with a record of 5-1. The girls lost to the previous state champions, First Colonial, and the boys just nearly fell short of Landstown. However, many of the Ocean Lakes boys were out due to club activities, according to senior Molly Ryan. 

“In districts, all the beach teams compete against each other in hopes of making regionals,” said Molly Ryan. “I think we are going to come out as the No.2 seed, and the boys will definitely get the No.1 seed because they do every year.”

Districts for both girls and boys will occur on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024, at the Princess Anne Recreation Center. If all goes as planned, both teams will then compete for the 5A Regional title the following Saturday, Feb. 10. 

“I’m super excited for districts. We do well every year, so I’m more looking forward to getting another regional trophy or maybe even state,” said senior Jack Hancock.